Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Over 50? Take the risk, learn something new, go on an adventure ... you're not dead yet!

Lawrie launching his restored Chris Craft - me in the water!
Why women over 50 should start something big and new! 

That's the title of an interesting motivational article written by Julia Hook, and shared on Facebook by a much younger friend Kari Skaggs. I read it and I started thinking about my wacky life.

When I was 50, I had recently switched careers for the tenth or twelfth time and I was now managing a hotel in Canada. I decided I wanted to learn two new things that year. The first was to learn to Rollerblade (in line-skating), and the second was to prepare my income tax returns. Lawrie and I had over the years a succession of small businesses and had always relied on an accountant to do the tedious tax returns. Okay, I can do this.


Nana and Evan rowing on Okanagan Lake
Goal number one: I purchased a set of Rollerblades, helmet, and hand protectors and proceeded to figure out a five-mile-long route in our neighbourhood of Trout Creek BC. 

It was great exercise, and I alternated with taking my rowboat out on Okanagan Lake for an hour every morning to strengthen my back muscles. I skated and rowed all year around for the six years that we lived in Summerland, except of course when the road was covered in snow or the my boat was frozen to the dock.

Goal number two: I did my own income tax return. Easy. I was an employee and only had one official form to submit. Then when an auditor from Revenue Canada called me at the hotel, asking a bunch of odd questions and I started to laugh.

"Laughing is not the normal response that I get when I call people to tell them we are auditing their files." He said.

I replied, "I turned 50 this year, and wanted to learn two new things." I said, and told him what they were.

He laughed, and asked, "So, how's the Rollerblading working out?"

"Apparently much better than me doing my tax return."


Dinner on our beach on Isla Mujeres
When I was fifty-seven and Lawrie was sixty-six, we moved to Isla Mujeres Mexico to live on a tropical island in the Caribbean Sea. The incredulous comments from friends and family were quite interesting, mainly to do with Mexico being dangerous, and us losing our free Canadian medical once we were out of the country for more than six months.

For us it was a fun, learning experience however, retirement on a small island can be boring after awhile. When I was sixty-three I decided I wanted to write a book. I self-published The Adventures of Thomas the Cat, then when I turned sixty-five I started writing my Isla Mujeres Mystery series. 

Oh, and I started Rollerblading again at age sixty-four, much to the amusement of the people who watched me skate in the little park just south of our house on Isla. I skated like a hockey player, with my broom out in front of me to sweep away the small rocks that the little kids liked to toss onto the concrete pad. 


Yeah, this is me. I am a little taller now.
Now, I am almost sixty-nine and on my own. I have recently moved to another city in Mexico where I didn't know anyone. It is a struggle at times, to make myself get out and meet people but I am slowly working my way into the social fabric of the city. Everyday I find new places to explore, new streets to walk, and new experiences to savour in San Miguel de Allende. 

The people are very friendly and I have been invited to join several groups, but as one of my good friends on Isla used to say, "You and I are reluctant extroverts." 

I admit it. I am a reluctant extrovert but it doesn't stop me from trying new things, or starting a new adventure.

To you 50-year-old-youngins, you ain't dead yet, just because you've ticked over another decade. Enjoy the adventure!

Cheers 
Lynda 

~
Murder and Mayhem. Revenge and romance.
Isla Mujeres Mystery series
Grab your copy today!!

No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...