Thursday, January 23, 2020

Chihuahuas, chickens, children and clothing

Si, this is me after a Pink Room make-over!!
I had my hair done recently here in San Miguel de Allende at The Pink Room. 

The calm, serene environment made me smile. 

It was nothing like my normal hair appointments on Isla Mujeres, where a parade of relatives, kids, and dogs, or even customers interested in buying clothes ambled through my friend Amaranta Ancona Cerveras' home. 

She lived about a block south of my casa and hair appointments were always an adventure. 

Behind her house were an assortment of roosters and chickens owned by a neighbour. The roosters didn't know they were scheduled to crow only at sunrise. 

They bellowed whenever they felt the need, which would set Amaranta's two ankle-biting chihuahua-security-alarms into a frenzy of barking and yapping. 


In the same neighbourhood - but not the noisy roosters.
Some days her large assortment of siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews would be in and out of her house chatting, searching for another relative, or wanting their hair cut in a particular way for the start of school the next day.

I always marveled at Amaranta's unflappable ability to, as Katie Cain once said, simultaneously manage at least four clients. She was efficient, quick and inexpensive. Color, shampoo, cut, blow-dry and you were on your way. 

At my request Amaranta spoke only Spanish to me, to try and force my brain to hear the words. I usually understood what she was saying, especially when the story was accompanied by hand gestures and hilarious facial expressions. I miss my monthly entertainment.


The two chihuahuas and her son, a few years ago
Amaranta and her young family have moved to the colonial town of Izamal, near Valladolid. The move was to benefit her son, with a better education at a good private school. She is working at the Tattoo Barber Shop G-P in Izamal, taking appointments for new and former clients. 

She does return to the island on a fairly regular basis to visit with her large and extended family and take care of long-time customers. 

However, for me, that doesn't work. I just have to get used to the peace and quiet. It's relaxing, but not nearly as entertaining.

Now, where did I put my glass of champagne?

Cheers from Mexico
Lynda 



Wandy and Olga on a warm summer's evening

Islanders probably remember Amaranta's grandparents, Wandy and Olga, sitting on their front steps and greeting passersby. Wandy recently passed away, leaving another hole in the fabric of the neighbourhood. 



~

Grab your copy today! Murder and mayhem. Revenge and romance on Isla Mujeres. Available on Amazon as e-books and paperbacks.


No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...