Life is
good!
What
an exciting day. I played gently with my Christmas gifts because I didn’t want
to hurt them. Tommy and Chica raced around the bedroom, shredding the wrapping
paper and chasing the pieces blown by the warm tropical wind. Servant and
Driver laughed at their silly antics.
Chica
batted her catnip mouse and her little foam balls across the room, back and
forth, until they got stuck under furniture. She was only five years old and
had a lot of energy.
“Never
mind, Chica, Servant said. “I’ll get them for you later.”
Tommy
discovered canned shrimp and a bag of catnip in his stocking. The catnip made
him very playful for a few minutes, and then he fell asleep. Maybe because he
is fourteen years old, he gets tired faster.
Later
that morning, we had breakfast, played together in the kitchen, and then
everyone, including Servant and Driver, took a siesta. Early in the
afternoon, I could smell delicious aromas coming from the barbecue in the
courtyard. Driver was slowly roasting the turkey for our Christmas dinner. In
my previous home, I didn’t know what that smell was or where it was coming
from, and it made me drool with hunger. Now I was here, in this house, and I
was going to eat some of that delicious meat. What a lucky doggie.
After
sundown, the festive lights on our palm trees created a fairyland of light and
colour in our yard. Beautiful music drifted through the house, and our people
sang about funny things I had never heard of: snowmen, one-horse sleighs, and
jingle bells.
A few of Servant and Driver’s friends came over, and we ate a tasty dinner exactly like Chica had described. Turkey is amazing! It was the best meal I had ever eaten. The humans talked, laughed, clinked their glasses together, and wished each other a Merry Christmas. ¡Feliz Navidad!
I slowly drifted off to sleep, hugging my new stuffed toy. I was grateful, happy, and very sleepy. I thought about all the people and animals who had never known so much love.


No comments:
Post a Comment