Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure to Newfoundland, via the southern route!

Day 16, of Sparky's Epic Adventure. We drove from Bozeman Montana to Buffalo Wyoming, with a slight detour to Livingston Montana, one of the entrances to Yellowstone National Park. Lawrie and I were in Yellowstone in 2001 just before 911 happened. Oddly, when I was switching my printed photos over to digital that entire trip was lost. We stopped in Livingston on the way back to grab a cup of coffee for the trip. I was in the coffee line-up when the news of the first plane hitting the World Trade Building was broadcast. The woman handed me the coffee just as the second plane hit. I got back in our vehicle and told Lawrie what had happened, and he said. "We have to get back across the border as quickly as possible." And we did, driving non-stop until we arrived at the Osoyoos crossing around midnight. Driving through Livingston brought back those memories. It's a cute town, and I should have taken more photos but I thought I still had the ones from 2001. 
Montana

Day 17 of Sparky's Epic Adventure. We explored the downtown area of Buffalo Wyoming until another thunderstorm chased us inside. It's a good day to get caught up on emails and reading. One of the reasons I wanted to stop in Buffalo is Craig Johnson, the author of the Longmire mystery novels, has written extensively about this area and the cafe at the Occidental Hotel on Main Street. It's called the Busy Bee in his books. I poked my nose into the cafe It was packed with locals enjoying their morning coffee and breakfasts, so, instead, Sparky and I wandered a few doors along and discovered a dog-friendly cafe, Lolly's Sugar Shack. Sparky played with the resident dog, Dakota. I sampled their Lappuchino (a latte-cappuccino) and a fabulous cinnamon bun. Talk about a sugar rush. I rarely eat sweets but cinnamon buns were Lawrie's favorite, so I couldn't pass it up. 

Buffalo Wyoming



Lolly's Sugar Shack in Buffalo Wyoming

Day 18 of Sparky's Epic Adventure across North America. The weather has been cranky all day as we drove from Buffalo to Cheyenne Wyoming. We passed several interesting places but between fighting to keep the car on the road in a torrential downpour and rain, rain, rain, I didn't stop for anything but a quick rest break or two for Sparky and me. We are overnighting in historic Cheyenne. 

Big Boots Cheyenne Wyoming
Our drive from Cheyenne Wyoming to Colorado was cloudy, foggy, and rainy. The Big Boots of Cheyenne Wyoming each tell a story about the spot where they are located in the city. The red one made me smile. It is located outside the Laramie Country Library of Cheyenne. It depicts some of the statues that are scattered around the library's reading trail - and several of the books that have been banned by libraries in other states but not in Wyoming. I love their cheeky humor. 



Cheeky detail on Big Boot

Day 19 of Sparky's Epic Adventure. We're staying with friends, John and Cayce, at 9000 feet in the mountains a bit south-ish of Denver Colorado. Great dinner with lots of laughter and stories. 


Day 20 Yesterday John and Cayce Chalk toured Sparky and me around their neighborhood and the Red Rocks Amphitheater. It was spectacular! The short fuzzy guy and I had a slight challenge with the number of stairs but we eventually huffed and puffed our way down to see the stage and then back up again. 

Red Rocks Colorado

Day 21 of Sparky's Epic Adventure across North America. Today was a driving day, across a good chunk of Kansas. It's pretty flat and I don't remember having to turn the steering wheel very often. Just straight ahead for 5 hours! 
Oakley Kansas


Oakley Kansas

Day 22 of Sparky's Epic Adventure. We are in Topeka Kansas but I am not going to post anything on Facebook except this. The hotel network isn't secure. 

Day 23 of Sparky's Epic Adventure to Newfoundland Canada, via a convoluted route. We're in Jefferson City for a few days, visiting good friends Robert Goth and Julie from our time on Isla Mujeres Mexico. It's a beautiful area. Lush rolling hills. Forests. Streams. And fields planted with corn and other crops. Sparky and his girlfriend, Princess Izy, had a cute little reunion. They recognized each other after a separation of over 3 years. The eastern half of Kansas was much more scenic than eastern Colorado to somewhere west of Topeka. Today's drive was quicker than I thought it would be and the 'house pests' arrived at Rob and Julie's at noon. It will be good to stay put for a few days instead of driving every day. We have traveled 5340 kilometers or about 3320 miles since May 1st.

Are we there yet?




No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...