Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure to Newfoundland (coast to coast!)

Wooden VW Van at Hotel Zed, Tofino

 Day 9 of Sparky's Epic Adventure (Newfoundland via Vancouver Island BC).

We spent more time this morning exploring Tofino, Long Beach, and Incinerator Rock Beach before heading east for the first time on this adventure. We are back in Nanoose Bay with Rosemary and Glen, then headed to White Rock/Surrey tomorrow on the car ferry from Nanaimo.

Tofino Harbour

Day 10 of Sparky's Epic Adventure to Newfoundland, the long way.

Sparky and I spent the day in and around the BC Ferry transportation system. I drove to Duke Point, a bit south of Nanaimo, then we sailed past Gabriola Island and across the Straight of Georgia to Tsawwassen BC. The weather was perfect for the two-hour crossing.


Sparky on a coil of mooring lines

Day 11, Sparky's Epic Adventure. Relaxing with my friends, cleaning, and reorganizing my car.

This is just some of the stuff that fits into the car, and most belongs to Sparky. The foam mattress. A doggie stroller. Dog food. Leashes. Sunshade. Teddy bear. Brushes, combs, and medications. A black doggie bed to keep him from rolling around if I hit the brakes. And my suitcase and a sleeping bag, just in case.


Some Sparky's stuff!

Day 12, was spent lazing around doing not much.
Day 13 of Sparky's Epic Adventure.


Blaine Washington

Sparky and I drove from Surrey/White Rock to Wenatchee, Washington. It's only 334 kilometers or about 210 miles, but the drive turned into a 7-hour trek. The Peace Arch border crossing was backed up, then there was a road construction delay between Bellingham and Everett, Washington, and again somewhere east of where the I-5 and Highway 2 intersect. It was stop-and-go for quite some time. The weather has turned hot, hitting 34C or mid-90s F.
The beautiful route cuts through towering mountains, then beside emerald green rivers, and through small, sleepy mountain towns with names like Start Up and Gold Bar and architecture from the 1890s. Once we passed the Stevens Pass Ski Resort at 4000 feet above sea level, the climate began to change to dry and semi-arid with orchards, farms, and vineyards.

Owl Drugs and Fountain since 1926 Wenatchee

Day 14, of Sparky's Epic Adventure.
Is this sounding like a prisoner marking off the days until his release? At times I hear a loud 'fuff!' from my travel companion and then I know he's fed up and needs a break.

We hit the I-90 freeway from Wenatchee to Superior Montana, scooting past Coeur d'Alene Idaho. I've been there a few times and didn't feel the need to stop again, even though it is very beautiful.

Tonight we are settled in a tiny town of 900 people near Missoula Montana. I prefer the tiny, old, and quaint towns to larger cities. We drove through the semi-arid moonscape of eastern Washington into the mountains, lakes, and rivers of Idaho and on into Montana. All is well, except I still don't have the energy to figure out what the heck is wrong with my phone's roaming plan. I might get lost a time or two, but that's what adventures are all about.


Superior Montana 

Day 15, of Sparky's Epic Adventure.
I'm sure he's fed up already. He spent most of the day snoozing in the back on his foam mattress or glaring at me from the footwell of the passenger's seat. Poor pupper.

My photos don't do justice to the gorgeous scenery between Superior and Bozeman Montana. Towering mountains. 6300-foot summits for highway I-90. Broad valleys. Massive ranches. And cows, lots of cows. I detoured onto a few secondary roads but wasn't able to stop for photos. Even on the secondary roads the speed limit was 80 M/ph or about 128 KM/ph. The roads don't have wide shoulders (although the men do!), and the edges drop a few inches before veering over the bank. There were very few places to pull over and take photos so I missed some really beautiful photo ops.

Gorgeous mountains visible in Montana




No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...