Thursday, May 25, 2023

A Snarly Greeting at Seas the Day Gibsons BC - I changed hotels!

Near the beginning of Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America, I had a two-day reservation for May 4th and May 5th at Seas the Day in the pretty community of Gibsons, BC. #seastheday

The owner/operator had sent me a message the day before stating that I should park in the back alley, between the red flags. I was traveling and neglected to acknowledge that I had read the message.

When I arrived at 2:00 p.m., I drove through the back alley but couldn't see where I was supposed to park, so I went around the front and parked in an available spot two houses away. 

The front gate to Seas the Day looked to be the main entrance to the accommodation. It was clearly marked with a large sign displaying the name, and the phone number. 

As I approached the front gate, three small dogs began to bark at my dog, Sparky, and me through the wire gate. I phoned the owner and said that I was waiting outside the gate. Then one of the dogs barged through the wire and proceeded to harass both Sparky and me. 

I tried several times to fend off the dog. It got more aggressive. The owner appeared on the upper deck and asked, "Did you want something?" 

I replied, "Yes, I'm Lynda Lock. I have a two-day reservation." 

She came down to the gate, asking me if I had opened the gate to allow the dog to escape. 

I said, "No, I did not open the gate. The dog barged through the opening in the wire." The gate was made of wire, formed in squares, about 3 inches by 3 inches. The dog was a white poodle or poodle mix. He was small but aggressive. 

The owner repeatedly tried to call the dog. The dog, Sully, ignored her and continued to become more aggressive. 

It bit Sparky. And it tried several times to bite my ankles. I finally used my large purse to fend the dog off.

She continued to call the dog. It ignored her and followed my dog Sparky and me as we tried to return to my car. She said the dog was a rescue, and it wouldn't listen to her. She also said it would run away if she tried to catch it.

I got angry at the continual harassment and ran toward the dog, yelling, "Get in the yard." It ran towards the fence but continued to lunge and snap at us. It refused to enter the yard while Lorraine kept repeating it was a rescue and didn't like other dogs.

Lorraine again told me to park my car between the red flags in the lane behind her house. 

I drove around again but couldn't locate the parking spot. I called her and asked for clarification.

"It's right beside the Mercedes." Then she added, "We're not ready for your three o'clock check-in." (It was now about 2:25 p.m.)

At that point, I was shaking. Sparky was shaking. And the very last thing I wanted to do was stay at this place. I owned an awarding winning Bed and Breakfast from 1992 to 2000. Then I became a manager of a 142-room hotel from 2000 until 2008. I know how to treat guests.

The owner has steadfastly refused to refund any part of the two-night stay. Her reason is that I did not follow check-in procedures by parking in the lane. I tried to, twice. 

I subsequently booked a pleasant two-night stay at the Davis Bay Oceanside Hotel

I have attempted since May 4th to get a refund for the second night of the canceled stay. The owner/operator has steadfastly refused, saying the whole incident was my fault because I did not park in the lane. My niece and I drove along the lane the next day looking for the parking spot, and with some difficulty we did locate the limp, wet Canadian flag that was apparently the indication this was where I should park.

Were it not for my extensive family connections to this area, I would have taken the next boat off the peninsula to escape this unpleasant situation.

Sparky and I have now been traveling for twenty-five days and covered 5500 kilometers (about 3400 miles). We have only had pleasant greetings and good experiences at our accommodations in Davis Bay, Tofino, Wenatchee MT, Superior MT, Boseman MT, Buffalo WY, Cheyenne WY, Oakley KS, or Topeka KS.

I'm looking forward to the remainder of our 4-month adventure across North America.

Cheers 

Lynda and Sparky 
The parking spot indication 




No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...