Saturday, July 29, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (sad to leave Newfoundland, The Rock)

Our last night on The Rock
July 29th: I know, I've skipped a few days! 

I haven't done a whole lot besides sleep, and drive since July 27th. For some reason my energy level has bottomed out and I am taking it easy until I feel perkier. Sparky, on the other hand, is bored silly with my lack of enthusiasm for his exploratory walks.

I have now driven over 18,000 kilometers since leaving Penticton on May 1st. The odometer clicked over just as we were coming into Pasenda Newfoundland, where we stopped in for a cup of tea and a sandwich with Bernadine and Stewart Cochrane. They are new friends with an Isla Mujeres Mexico connection.

Fishing at Bishop's Falls NL

Today, we caught the noon ferry from Port Aux Basques, and sailed away to more adventures back on the mainland of Canada. 

I really enjoyed the 4 weeks that The Sparkinator and I roamed around Newfoundland. It was everything I thought it would be, and more. Some of my best memories were meeting the locals, chatty, friendly, helpful and always smiling. I occasionally struggled to understand what they were saying and I'm sure some of the folks couldn't understand me either. Everyone, young and old, of any gender, have called me honey, my love, sweetie, darling, and my darling. It's startling at first and then it becomes charmingly normal.

One gentleman in Corner Brook chatted with me for a good five minutes, nicely telling me why I shouldn't drive the wrong way on a one-way street. He sent me on my way with a smile and 'you have a good day now.' spoken rapidly in his Newfie dialect. To be fair, it was only the entrance to the Greenway Hotel, and I thought I could get away with a quick zip into the parking lot, instead of driving around the block. He politely disagreed with my decision!

Codroy Provincial Park NL
This is a vast province, much larger than I ever imagined, and I didn't even attempt to explore the larger mainland section of Labrador. (The full name of the province is Newfoundland and Labrador). Sparky and I roamed several of the indented peninsula's exploring tiny hamlets, villages, and towns. We covered just over 5000 kilometers on Newfoundland and I don't think I covered even half of the area. 

It has stunning scenery everywhere you go, but as you have probably gathered by my photos I am in love with the ocean, boats, and colourful buildings. The mountain ranges, massive forests, tumbling brooks, and numerous lakes are beautiful too, they just don't catch my eye the way the coastline does.

A man walking his cat, Port Harmon

So, I'll leave this with a few of my favourite photos of Newfoundland. (I have several hundred photos but they won't all fit in this blog!)

I hope many of you have plans to explore this beautiful, and still wild, part of the world.

Cheers Lynda and The Sparkinator


Icebergs at Twillingate NL







Jelly Bean Row St. John's (covers many streets)

Puffins at Cape Bonavista NL











Colourful boats, Winterton NL





No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...