Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (charming Champney's West & Trinity NL)

July 25th: Driving south on Highway #230 in the direction of the Trans Canada Highway, on our way to Gander NL, I spotted a sign for Trinity. I'd heard it is a colourful and charming village, so I turned left towards Trinity. 

Champney's West 
Except I turned too soon, and ended up meandering along a narrow road toward  Champney's West. This village wasn't on my radar, but I'm glad that I continued to the end of the road.

Champney's West is a beautiful community, located in the group known as Trinity Bight. I checked the population figures and got various results of 75 to 432.

Apparently no one really knows! Perhaps they are including the ghosts of past residents. 

I also had to look up the word "bight." It's a long, gradual bend or recess in the shoreline that forms a large, open bay. 

Road leading to Champney's West.

Eventually I found the correct road to Trinity, in Trinity Bay. The road branched off of the same road that Sparky and I had explored a few days ago when we were on our way to our cottage at Little Catalina. We were too early to check-in, so I diverted to Highway #239, and drove to the end at Old Bonaventura. On the way back I stopped for fish and chips at the Lucky Spike food truck, and then continued on to Little Catalina. I completely missed Trinity that day!

Old Bonaventura (New Bonaventura is nearby) 

At the Lucky Spike food truck

Great fish and chips freshly made

Trinity, Trinity Bay NL



When I eventually found Trinity, in Trinity Bay - I was thrilled! 

It is set in a gorgeous bay, the historic buildings are beautifully restored, and and new ones have been designed to blend with the existing ambiance. 

One company seems to be the major landlord for many of the buildings, Artisan Inn offers rooms, suites, and private vacation homes scattered throughout the community. They also own and operate the Twine Loft Restaurant, offering "a waterside culinary experience."

Heading out to look for whales
The area is also well-known for  hiking, sea kayaking, whale, bird and iceberg watching, fine dining, theatre, museums, and shopping. 

If I am ever back this way, I would definitely stay in Trinity.

Cheers Lynda and The Sparkinator














No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...