Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Two countries, four cities, four months ... time to settle down

Isla Mujeres December 2019
It's been an unsettled few months for Sparky and me, and my writing schedule has suffered greatly. 

My current work-in-progress, Twisted Isla, is two months behind on my self-imposed launch date. 

It's time to get back to my daily writing routine.

In December the sale of our Isla Mujeres house completed then I packed up my three suitcases of possessions and Sparky and I flew away to a new adventure to San Miguel de Allende. It's a beautiful colonial city located in the heart of Mexico. 
Sparky and I about to leave our Isla house 2019

Thankfully my good friend Eileen Regn had room in her heart for Boo the Cat, a sweet semi-feral stray that wanted to live with us, but strictly on her own terms. I couldn't imagine trying to relocate her to a new city. 
San Miguel de Allende December to March 

From mid-December to mid-March Sparky and I enjoyed exploring the history, the colour, and the culture of San Miguel de Allende. 

I was beginning to find new friends and new interests. In early March our Isla friends, Julie, Robin, and Anna came for a visit. Life was good. The sun was shining and I was busy writing. 

And then the emails from the Canadian government started - get home now. We are expecting a worldwide pandemic. 

Well, hell! 

So, again, I packed up my three suitcases of possessions and my pooch and flew back to the country of my birth. Thankfully good friends that I have known since elementary school days had an extra bedroom where Sparky and I could hide out and do our two-week isolation after returning to Canada from Mexico.

But of course, the whole world went into self-isolation, or quarantine, or social-distancing and life became very weird. 
Sparky in Surrey BC - new raincoat

By the time five weeks had passed, I decided that even though my friends were encouraging me to continue living with them until the world sorted itself out, I just couldn't do it. I needed a place to rattle around on my own with my demanding, neurotic dog, and to concentrate on writing again. 

Sparky and I plus my three well-traveled suitcases took up residence in Summerland on April 28th. It's a nice new building, with a view of the mountains. 

It's interesting trying to find furniture for an empty unit during a pandemic. The first four nights I slept on a foam mattress on the floor. Now I have a bed, a sofa, and two chairs plus a tiny table. It's a start. I have discovered on-line shopping, and the FedEx delivery guy and I are on a first name basis. 


My bed - some assembly required.
I feel guilty about spending a little money when so many people are struggling to put food on the table, but sleeping on the floor when I am 69 and a-bit-years-old is too darn difficult. 

I am enjoying being back in Canada, but frequently Lawrie's favourite complaint comes to mind. "Canada has so damn many rules," he would grouse when we returned to visit with friends and family. Every. Single. Time. 

He's right. It's a funny adjustment to be back to the Canadian way of thinking. 

As for my writing, today is a chilly and rainy day. It's a good day to get back to writing Book #6 of the Isla Mujeres Mystery series - Twisted Isla.

Stay healthy my friends. Hopefully we will see the end of this isolation soon. 


Cheers
Lynda and The Sparkinator


Sparky checking out his new country.


Book #6 of the exciting Isla Mujeres Mystery series - coming soon! 



1 comment:

Randy said...

Stay Safe. Thank you for the update.

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...