Saturday, March 21, 2020

Leaving my beloved Mexico and returning to Canada

Templo of Saint Philip Neri San Miquel de Allende
Sparky and I returned to Canada last night amid fears, rumours, and worries about the coronavirus pandemic, leaving behind my beloved Mexico

It wasn't an easy decision, but for me it was necessary. Just a few days ago I realized that the world opinion was rapidly changing from one of optimism and economic growth to fear of the what the future would bring.

For the first time in twelve years I began to feel uneasy, being on my own in a country where my language skills were limited, and in a new city where I had barely begun to build a support network of new friends.

San Miguel de Allende
Then last week the Canadian government sent out several emails advising citizens, living or vacationing abroad, to return home as commercial airline flights were diminishing and any government rescue flights would be very limited. That tipped the scales for me, and I searched for flights out of Leon to any large airline hub. Eventually I found a flight from Leon to Cancun, and then to Vancouver BC on Friday.

On Wednesday, Sparky and I traveled to Leon via shuttle service and stayed in centro. It was interesting to see another large city in Mexico but Leon is not nearly as beautiful as San Miguel de Allende, even-though it is about as old. I wandered the historic area people-watching. Listening to snippets of conversation I could hear an overtone of uncertainty and worry. Then, I heard a lovely voice singing accompanied by beautiful guitar music and I stopped to listen.

Leon Mexico
He was an elderly gentleman, possibly in his mid-80's, perched on a stool near a restaurant. As I put the money in his cup, I noticed that he didn't acknowledge my presence, so I looked more closely at him. He was blind, and when I spoke to him he didn't respond, so I touched his hand with the money. He thanked me, but I realized when another person did the same thing he was not only blind, but deaf. 

The reality of his situation brought a flood of tears to my eyes. There is no financial safety net for people in Mexico, or in many other countries. If you don't have money; you don't eat. What was going to happen to this man and others like him as the tourism industry grinds to a halt?  Restaurants, bars, and shops - closed. Flights, cruises, tours - canceled. Many Mexicans depend on tourism to feed and house their families.

Sparky in the elevator at our hotel - discovers another dog
On Thursday night Sparky and I over-nighted at a hotel in Cancun, staying away from our Isla friends - just in case I had come in contact with the coronavirus. 

The hotel staff was kind, and helpful, and also very worried. Everyone expressed their concerns about their jobs and the ability to care for their families.

Once on board the WestJet flight to Vancouver, I felt a sense of relief. I was going back to an uncertain situation, but at least I would be in a country where I would be closer to family, speak the language, know how to get medical assistance, and I still had a large group friends.

Fabulous crew of flight #2057 WestJet
The WestJet staff did their best to lighten the mood on the plane, chatting and joking with the returning Canadians while struggling to hold back their tears. For that particular crew flight 2057 on Friday March 20th was their last flight until ... well, no one knows when. 

Sparky was a huge hit. He was cuddled and hugged by passengers, the flight attendants, and the pilots. The final announcement when we landed was a tear-filled thank-you from the crew, which had many passengers reaching for tissues.

As to my future, it is still uncertain. I will sort something out in the next week or two, but in the meantime Sparky and I are self-isolating at the home of dear friends in the Vancouver area.  




I will sorely miss the kindness of the people and the beauty of Mexico. I wish you well. Hopefully we will meet again.

Sincerely
Lynda







7 comments:

Carlen Jansen said...

So glad that you're home safe and sound Lynda.....leaving San Miguel Allende would be heart breaking for anyone let alone leaving Isla Majeures. Your life has been a great adventure and you have lived it to the max. Laurie would have consented with your decision to return back to Canada. Good luck with the next part of your journey.

Carlen

Gailmarie7 said...

Oh, Lynda! A wise decision, though, I know, desperately hard for you. You are/were in a new place, a fairly large city, where, as you said, no real support system for you. Home to B.C. Was exactly the thing to do.
I’m still here on Isla and staying for the duration. Also a very, very hard decision. But leaving Isla to return to NewYork where the pandemic is at is peak... I think this is a better place to be.
Miss seeing your sweet smile. This has shaken all of us to the core. With God’s love, this , too, shall pass. Love you.

Norma J said...

Love you and Sparky, Lynda and know you are doing what is best for now. You bring joy and love wherever you go and online so please continue your blogging/writing/observing/listening/. 💜😘🍷☕️🌈

Bonnie said...

Awhhh Linda and the Sparkinator! Tears here too. I also left Mexico on Friday and took home a puppy for my brother. I welcomed the distraction to keep my worried mind off of the obvious. After the 4.5 hour flight, I climbed into my frigid car for 4 more hours to my casa. Taffy, my dog, and Cally and Lucki, the kitties, were a welcome sight for my exhausted body. Oh, and the puppy, Felix, was pooped too, even though he slept most of the journey. I usually complain about the cold every year when I return, but not this year. Happy to be home in Canada no matter the temperature:))
Hasta luego amiga. Bonnie

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Linda - the situation is tragic and there are many, many unknowns. I have enjoyed reading your books while I visit Isla, loving the close connection with your characters in a place that my husband and I have visited since we discovered it around 1994.

Hoping your new life is happy and filled with good health, kindness, and fun times. I will be on the lookout for your next books.

Pam Curry
West Virginia

Susan Tessier Roline said...

Hi Lynda, My brother Dennis lived in San Miguel for a few years and absolutely loved it. He was able to tune back in to his artistic skills while living there. He shared many stories and photos of his time there, so I can see why your decision to return home was a difficult one. Dennis now lives just south of there in Queretaro. Hope you are able to return soon.
Take care...Susan Tessier Roline

Pat Hall said...


We'll miss you and Sparky. Thanks for writing up and describing your trip. Pat

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...