Monday, September 9, 2024

Relearning the art of cycling

KVR Trail trestle in vineyard, Penticton 
Last November, I purchased a Norco Indie VLT, e-bike. I had visions of zooming with my new e-bike up the many hills surrounding my home in the Okanagan Valley, (perhaps with a lovely glass of champagne in one hand, and a plate of strawberries in the other.)

I didn't start riding until May 1st, because I am a fair-weather rider. I don't do ice, snow, rainstorms, or wind! As it turns out there are different types of e-bikes. Some that have a throttle, and some that don't. I have the latter. My Indie VLT has pedal-assist. If I don't pedal the bike will stop and, would probably fall over while I waited in stunned surprise for something to happen.

The last bicycle that I owned was in 2009, when I lived on Isla Mujeres Mexico. I only rode it for a year or two before the constant maintenance took the fun out of riding near the Caribbean Sea. Hot, salty winds can play havoc with anything metal. This out-of-condition-seventy-something body has also forgotten how tough bike riding can be on a person's private bits. Two days in, and I bought a softer gel seat. 

Using my old-school paper calendar, I've carefully tracked my progress this summer. On May 1st, I accomplished a shaky twenty minutes and four kilometers on nearby bike lanes. By May 31st, I was traveling about fifteen kilometers, from Skaha Lake to Okanagan Lake, and back. Not far, and not fast. But at least I was doing it.

On June 11th while cycling home from a fifteen-kilometer bike ride from Skaha Lake to Okanagan Lake, and back I decided to take a shortcut through the Walmart parking lot. A female Mule deer passed me! In the parking lot. Just as calm as could be walking quickly and heading in the same direction as me. My speedometer said I was pedaling at twenty-three kilometers per hour. Was she speeding?

KVR Little Tunnel view north 
Later in the summer, on August 22nd, I was able to cross off one of my goals—reaching the Naramata Little Tunnel, on the KVR Trailway. Built on the abandoned railway bed, the trail has a steady incline from where I live near Skaha Lake Park, all the way to the tunnel. The panoramic views of Peachland, Summerland, Penticton, Naramata, and south, to Skaha Lake were worth the effort. The forty-seven-kilometer round-trip is a steady grind on the way up and a cool breezy downhill cruise on the way home.

Entrance to OK Falls on trail
A week later on August 29th, I crossed off another goal—riding south to Okanagan Falls and back, via another section of the abandoned railway lines. Running along the edge of Skaha Lake, this trail is flatter but rougher, and quite narrow in some spots necessitating a bumpy detour into the weeds to bypass walkers, cyclists, or occasionally horseback riders.

Then on September 6th, I cycled on yet another section of the KVR to the entrance of the Pine Hills Golf Club on the West Bench. This trail is considerably rougher, with several small washouts. The views are fantastic. Riding this section made me realize I need to learn how to repair a flat tire.

Near Pine Hills Golf Club
Since May 1st, I've pedaled my butt an impressive 720 kilometers (448 miles) and spend 40 hours on my trusty steed, averaging about 18 kilometers per hour.

My rides have been fantastic however, the physical results have been mixed.

On the plus side:

My leg and back muscles are stronger. I'm regaining strength in my arms and hands.

I enjoy experiencing the sights, the sounds, and the smells in different parts of my community.

I love the rush of the feel-good endorphins from the physical activity.

Forgot my lock, had to pee
On the negative side:

I've done a header over the handlebars, only once though. Skinning my hands, and knees, and twisting my left thumb. I always wear a helmet, to protect my noggin.

I haven't lost any weight, not even a little bit. I haven't increased my food intake or changed my eating habits. I don't snack. I eat 90% fresh fruits, fresh veggies, and a bit of protein. It seems as if my body has gone into survival mode, storing every last calorie in anticipation of a worldwide famine, or some other catastrophic disaster that only my metabolic system knows about.

And my right foot constantly hurts from the increased physical activity. I've been plagued by arthritis in that foot since I accidentally dropped a large bottle of cheap Schloss Laderheim Reisling when I worked at the Snug Cove General Store on Bowen Island in 1980-81. I instinctively stuck my right foot out and saved the bottle from smashing on the concrete floor. Many times I have wished I could change that split-second decision and let the damn bottle break, splashing cheap wine everywhere.

1980 Lynda, Snug Cove Store


But. Who knows, maybe if I had altered my reaction to that falling bottle it would have somehow had a cascade effect in my life, and I wouldn't have had the wild adventures that I've experienced.

Maybe it was a cosmic trade-off.

Cheers

Lynda

Sparky sends his woofs!




Isla Mujeres Mysteries or Death in the Vineyards 
Available on Amazon as e-books, paperbacks, or hardcovers.
Grab your copy today!




No comments:

Relearning the art of cycling

KVR Trail trestle in vineyard, Penticton  Last November, I purchased a Norco Indie VLT, e-bike. I had visions of zooming with my new e-bike ...