Friday, July 14, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (tea with the ladies of Bay de Verde NL)

Sparky - Heart's Content lighthouse
July 13th: Early in the morning, Sparky and I hopped in the car and headed north on Highway #80 toward the tip of the Bay de Verde Peninsula in Newfoundland. 

Keeping a watchful eye out for the plentiful (but as yet unseen) moose, I drove through a colourful collection of tiny towns, Heart's Delight, Heart's Desire, Heart's Content, New Perlican, and then Old Perlican, before reaching an intersection where I had to make a choice, left toward Grates Cove and a National Historic Site, or right toward Bay de Verde. I turned right. 

Bay de Verde Newfoundland
The name of Bay de Verde (Bay of Green) appears to have been corrupted over the centuries. According to the town's official history, a Portuguese captain, named the area Baía de Verde. 

The Portuguese and Spanish explorers and then fishermen frequented the area during their era of great discoveries in the 15th and 16th centuries. The French raided the area in 1697, destroying the settlement, and forcing the able-bodied men to be seamen. 

In 1713 the Treaty of Utrecht, signed to end the War of Spanish Succession, declared that Newfoundland was owned by Great Britain. The first recorded inhabitants at Bay de Verde arrived in 1662 and Newfoundland joined Canada as our 10th province in 1949.  

The harbour at Bay de Verde NL

I love learning about the history of Atlantic Canada. Living in British Columbia, the most westerly province of Canada, I sometimes forget that Canadian history is much older than is evident in my much younger province. 

I was immediately drawn to the harbour when we arrived in Bay de Verde. If you have read my previous posts you have probably noticed that I photograph boats,and colourful buildings, and more boats, and scenery, but definitely boats. 

Bay de Verde NL Heritage Premises 

A dozen or more photographs later, I was about to turn around and head back, then I noticed the Heritage Properties and Gift Shop sign. Great! After driving for two hours I was in need of a pee-break unlike my travel companion who had been leaving pee-mail messages at every opportunity.

The local women, and one young man, who staff the Heritage Premises and Gift Shop were fabulous. They invited me in for tea and a scone in the dining area. I said, "I am on my own may I join you in the kitchen?" 

"Yes, of course. Sit here. And your cute doggie, he's welcome too." 

We had a lovely visit, a tour of the sea captain's home, and yes a bathroom break too, before heading south toward Carbonear, and eventually our cosy place in Heart's Delight.

Cheers Lynda & The Sparkinator

More photos: 

Heart's Delight NL








Heart's Content NL

Heart's Content NL











Winterton local on his quad-four

Winterton fishing gear









Winterton, boats, sheds, church

No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...