Monday, July 10, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (Twillingate and big icebergs!)

July 9th: Iceberg Alley or the Iceberg Corridor passes in front of Twillingate Newfoundland, which is a cool place. (Yes, pun intended.) 

Twillingate Iceberg Alley

There were at least six big bergs that I could see, with several others drifting further out in the mist. The icebergs inspire open-mouthed awe as dozens of people witness the spectacle. 

In my heart, I know this shouldn't be happening but I want to witness the sobering, yet wonderous, sight firsthand. It's a worrisome trend as the Artic heats up and more icebergs, "calf off," or break away from the glaciers and then drift south towards Newfoundland.

The small coastal outports of Newfoundland and Labrador were once a hub of cod fishing and logging. Then the 1992 moratorium on cod fishing caused an economic collapse in many small villages. 

Twillingate Newfoundland

Twillingate icebergs and tour boat

Oddly, global warming has created a new tourism boom in Newfoundland and Labrador. 

In the last ten to fifteen years the villages have come to rely on the recent influx of amateur photographers and tourists from all over the world who have come to witness the world-changing ice melt. 

The province of Newfoundland and Labrador hosted around 500,000 tourists last year. That's roughly the equivalent of the province's total population. 

Ask anyone in the 50 to 70 range, and likely they will say "It's on my bucket list," or "I just got back from two weeks in Newfoundland." 

This is my ninth day 'on the Rock' and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. Sparky enjoys the new smells, and hundreds of new pee-mails to read and answer. 

Cheers Lynda and The Sparkinator.

MORE PHOTOS BELOW

Twillingate Newfoundland 

Iceberg Alley - weird slice marks on iceberg










Tourists staring in open-mouthed awe

Lighthouse at Twillingate 















No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...