Saturday, July 1, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (Ingonish & Fortress Louisbourg Nova Scotia)

June 30th: It was a 'moving on down the road' day. We had an early start when the sounds of seabirds, waves, and fishing boats leaving the harbour in Ingonish Nova Scotia, woke us at 5:00 a.m.

First, I took Sparky to a nearby beach for his morning sniff and snoop, then we stopped at the Keltic Lodge, on Middlehead. It's an intriguing place visible from my cottage on the other side of the bay. The grand old property is owned and operated by Parks Canada in conjunction with GolfNorth.

Part of Keltic Lodge, Ingonish NS

Part of Keltic Lodge NS

Great place for breakfast! Terrific staff, too.

My next stop was the Main Street Cafe and Bakery. I only intended to purchase a take-out latte, until I discovered their patio is doggie-friendly. While I was waiting for my breakfast, four tourists from Ontario sat next to us and started a conversation. My take-out latte turned into two lattes, breakfast, a lot of laughter, and an exchange of contact information. 


Ferry between Jersey Cove & Englishtown NS

My plan for the day was to drive to Sydney, about a two-hour drive, and hope for an early check-in at the hotel. On route, I happened upon a 3-minute car ferry, that runs between Jersey Cove and Englishtown in Cape Breton. 

A gas stop in Boularderie East alerted me to the potential gas shortage in Nova Scotia, over the Canada Day long weekend. The government was set to implement a 12-cent per litre (about 50 cents a gallon) price hike and the stations were running low on fuel. Fortunately, I don't have a lot of driving to do before we board the car ferry to Newfoundland on Sunday, July 2nd. 

It was still much too early to check into the hotel, so I continued driving toward Fortress Louisbourg. on the south (I think) coast of Cape Breton. Lawrie and I visited it in September 1986, and I was so impressed I wanted to see it again. 

Except, I couldn't get in. I have my four-legged travel partner, and he is not allowed on the grounds. They said if I left him in the car someone would frequently check on him. Nope! The weather was cool and foggy, but anytime the fog lifted the temperature jumped from 18C to 28C in minutes. I realize it is a common rule for federal parks etc., however, so many people travel with their pets these days, I think it might be time to re-think that policy. 

Fortress Louisbourg, photo from NS webpage

WIKIPEDIA: The Fortress of Louisbourg (French: Forteresse de Louisbourg) is a tourist attraction as a National Historic Site and the location of a one-quarter partial reconstruction of an 18th-century French fortress at Louisbourg on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Its two sieges, especially that of 1758, were turning points in the Anglo-French struggle for what today is Canada.

The original settlement was founded in 1713 by settlers from Terre-Neuve and was initially called Havre à l'Anglois. Subsequently, the fishing port grew to become a major commercial port and a strongly defended fortress. The fortifications eventually surrounded the town. The walls were constructed mainly between 1720 and 1740. By the mid-1740s Louisbourg, named for Louis XIV of France, was one of the most extensive (and expensive) European fortifications constructed in North America.


By 2:00 p.m., we were settled in our hotel in downtown Sydney. 

Cheers,
Lynda and The Sparkinator

Poppies at the Keltic Lodge Ingonish







No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...