Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (Peggy's Cove & Port Dufferin NS)

June 26th: The fog is still pea-soup thick, hiding the warm sunshine. It's been a few days since I have worn anything less than jeans, two T-shirts, and a rain jacket. My Okanagan friends are basking in hot summer temperatures, and enjoying this year's crop of delicious cherries. I miss that, but I am also enjoying this adventure, exploring new places and rediscovering old favourites.

We headed off early, as usual. Even though my night was restless and wakeful I just can't sleep past dawn. The goal for the day is the Marmalade Motel in Port Dufferin, on the east shore of Nova Scotia, a distance of 366 km. 

As we neared Halifax, I veered off to visit the hugely popular, and weirdly iconic Peggy's Cove. This was my 3rd visit in 44 years. There are only about 40 people that live in Peggy's Cove, but around 700,000 visitors annually arrive to snap a photo and rush on to the next 'must see' site. 

My photo. There are much better ones on the internet

From the other side of the bay

Founded in 1811, on St. Margaret's Bay, Peggy's Cove is famed for its picturesque and typically East-Coast profile, with houses perched along a narrow inlet and on wave-washed boulders facing the Atlantic. Although this unique environment has been designated a preservation area, it is still an active fishing community. (Nova Scotia webpage.)


Internet pic of Peggy's Cove

By three in the afternoon, I was standing outside the Marmalade Motel in Port Dufferin, wondering what to do. The door code had supposedly been sent via email that morning but my phone wasn't cooperating. I couldn't access my emails or send a text. 

So many small and medium-sized properties have gone to a contactless check-in that requires the guest to use their phone. I get it. Many are short-staffed, and everyone is trying to reduce their operating costs. I can usually figure things out, but I was tired and my brain was in neutral. I finally tapped on another door and asked the occupants if they knew of another way to reach the owners. It turns out the owners lived nearby, and I was able to knock on their door for assistance. 

Much later in the evening, I discovered that I had put a limit on my data usage, and the phone had shut down. Okay, got that fixed. 

The Marmalade Motel was cute, comfy, and super quiet, but once again my brain was in busy mode for most of the night. I truly hate insomnia!

Cheers Lynda and Sir Fuzz-butt

View from my room 


View from my room - Marmalade Motel















Church near Marmalade Motel

Bed and wall decor at motel







No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...