Monday, June 19, 2023

Sparky's Epic Adventure Across North America (Maitland to Digby Nova Scotia)

June 18th: As is typical of my road trips I stuck to the secondary roads, which meant that the normal 237-kilometer drive from Maitland (about 150 miles) took Sparky and me over six hours to explore. 

We visited several lighthouses, and a number of small hamlets, and then I asked Miss Google to find me a grocery store near Digby NS. She happily routed us along a windy adventure to the sweet little hamlet of Bear River. (Another delightful place that I could live if it weren't for the cold winters.) 

Miss Google's route took us to a basic and not-well-stocked corner store. I decided to buy eggs, cheese, and bread because I had no idea what Digby had to offer. As it turns out, when we were on our way to our seaside accommodation we passed both the Atlantic Superstore and Sotheby's. Miss Google was having a laugh at me!

Our waterfront efficiency cabin at Seawinds Motel and Cottages is cute and comfortable and only a five-minute walk to the wharfside restaurants with a view of the fishing fleet. When we arrived yesterday, Father's Day, the majority of the boats were docked but this morning the boats were out again by 6:00 a.m. Digby has a sign in the town square 'The Scallops Capital of the World'. Have a look at the CBC video link below. 

Digby Sea Scallops

Today's sole task is to find a delicious Digby Sea Scallops dinner. After all, we are in the Scallops Capital of the World.

Cheers

Lynda and The Sparkinator 

Oldest continuously operated general store, Maitland

The lighthouse park at Burncoat Head Nova Scotia














A person standing on left near the cliffs, Burnthead

Lighthouse at Walton Nova Scotia


Great bakery somewhere on the side roads

Bear River Nova Scotia - a tidal village


Bear River Nova Scotia - a tidal village

Bear River Nova Scotia - a tidal village


Seawinds Motel Digby Nova Scotia


Digby Nova Scotia


Father's Day, the fleet is docked at Digby NS
















No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...