Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Christmas Eve in San Miguel de Allende

Horseback police near  the Parroquia San Miguel Arcángel 
It's a different type of Christmas eve, but a fascinating one. I probably won't get much sleep tonight but that's okay. It's another adventure.

By sunset the individual house parties and accompanying fireworks started, church bells rang at regular intervals throughout the day, and in the evening the music began flowing from restaurants, bars and hotels. The majority of the restaurants are fully booked with a special Christmas eve menu being offered.

The day started early with my four-legged alarm clock, and we wandered the empty streets while he read the local pee-news and left his responses.

Being the only human in this duo I can't get a cup of coffee for our strolls because my walking partner is not allowed in most of the restaurants. I did see one this afternoon that said 'pet friendly.'  They may become my new best friends.
Sparky and I enjoying the view at cocktail time

Later in the afternoon Sparky and I discovered a rooftop terraza at our hotel and we enjoyed the warmth of the setting sun, while I sipped on a glass of my favourite Malbec. As I returned to my room to get a second glass of wine the front desk attendant knocked on my door to inform me that I was being moved to the suite upstairs -  where the rooftop deck was located.

"Uh, at 5:30 in the afternoon you want me to move rooms?" I asked.

"Yes, you booked a kitchenette, and we have to move you because your current room is booked for new arrivals this evening."

This is the first 19 stairs - and then there are more.
She was right. 

I had booked a kitchenette but had decided that the listing was probably out of date, and I really didn't care as long as we had a place to sleep.

So, I repacked our suitcases and we moved upstairs to the Penthouse ... and I say that very tongue-in-cheek. The suite is roomy and it has a kitchenette, and a great view.

But the 38 spiral stairs from the bottom floor to our suite will either give Sparky and I great leg muscles or they will kill us.

It's a 50/50 chance at this point for both of us.
Sunset from our 'penthouse' deck.
It's about 8:45 p.m. and the church bells just went wild. I am assuming an 9:00 p.m. mass is about to start. When it is over, the partying will begin in earnest.

I think I will end this and try to catch a bit of sleep. Sparky is already curled up in his bed.

Sleep well, and I hope Santa is good to you

Lynda and The Sparkinator


~

Technically - you still have time to order your Christmas gifts on-line, as long as they are e-books!


Murder and mayhem. Revenge and romance.







No comments:

Peddling my butt around town!

              Yesterday I bought my 5 th bicycle, a fancy e-bike that will transport me to new adventures. Its less expensive predecessors ...